- 401 454-6625
- Homer Hall
- 55 Angell Street
RISD’s Health Services Center provides high-quality, confidential healthcare
Our qualified and knowledgeable providers give personal attention specific to all healthcare needs. Referrals are available as indicated. Students with a RISD Health Insurance Plan are required to schedule a visit with one of us before seeking outside care. Appointments are required. Limited walk-in hours are available to first-year students for acute illness only.
Students can also manage their health information with the Patient Portal, an online service for conveniently and confidentially submitting health and immunization records and accessing information about past or upcoming visits to the Health Services Center.
We look forward to helping you practice the Art of Health.
Note: The Flu (Influenza) has arrived in Rhode Island
Our community can stay healthy during flu season by following the advice of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please read this important CDC information.
If students are experiencing flu-like symptoms please see Health Services' recommendations on What to Do if You Contract the Flu.
StaffDaniel Regan Physician/Medical Director (MD) 401 454-6625 email@example.com
Brenda Azar Nurse Practitioner (FNP-BC) 401 454-6625 firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Chase Nurse Practitioner (FNP-BC) 401 454-6625 email@example.com
Carline Fleig Nurse Practitioner (FNP-BC) 401 454-6625 firstname.lastname@example.org
Arian Solomon Nurse Practitioner (ANP-BC) 401 454-6625 email@example.com
Sasha Rodriguez Registered Nurse (RN) 401 454-6625 firstname.lastname@example.org
Nelfi Geraldo Medical Office Coordinator 401 454-6625 email@example.com
Karen McCahey Office Assistant 401 454-6625 firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Tuesday: 8:30 am – 7:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Academic Year Hours
Monday: 8:30 am – 8:00 pm
Monday: Women’s Clinic 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:30 am – 7:00 pm
Friday: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Walk-In Hours (for Experimental and Foundation Studies students only): Weekdays 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
If there is an emergency when Health Services is closed, call Public Safety at 401 454-6666. A Public Safety Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) will respond.
Scheduling an Appointment
All visits require an appointment. To schedule one, please call: 401 454-6625.
When to Schedule an Appointment
Schedule an appointment when you are experiencing the following:
- A health concern
- Fever of 101 or greater
- Fever of 100 lasting more than 2 days
- Vomiting lasting more than 24 hours
Students who practice healthy habits are proven to perform better in college. These include:
- Eating a nutritionally balanced diet
- Sleeping 7-8 hours a night
- Regular physical activity
- Healthy stress management
Helpful Items to Have On-Hand
Not all things require a visit to our clinic. These common items can help you manage your health:
- Thermometer (to check temperature)
- Ibuprofen or Tylenol (for fever, headache, or body aches)
- TUMS or Pepcid (upset stomach, indigestion, heartburn)
- Benadryl (allergies)
What to Do if You Contract the Flu
Flu is a serious contagious disease that can lead to hospitalization and sometimes death. Please read this important information to be knowledgable and prepared during flu season.
Students who are experiencing flu-like symptoms should:
- Contact Health Services at 401 454-6625 to schedule an appointment.
- Avoid contact with others.
- Stay in their rooms for at least 24 hours after fever has subsided, without fever-reducing medicines.
Health insurance is mandatory for all full-time students, and is provided by University Health Student Resource. Students wishing to waive the University Health option may do so if they have a United States based insurance company, and are not an international student. All International students are required to enroll in RISD’s health plan.
To waive, please visit RISD Student Health Insurance Plan | University Health Plans, Inc. and follow the steps on the website. This website also provides other information on the insurance plan.
Students who are enrolled in the health plan will receive an e-mail to their RISD account with a link and sign-in information. Create your account, and then print out the insurance cards. All students should keep a copy of their insurance card on them at all times.
Reporting Illness & Missed Classes (EFS Students only)
For Experimental and Foundation Studies students who are ill and will miss class please first sign-in to your RISD Google Apps for Education email account and then fill out the Nurse Web Form. By submitting this form you will be notifying EFS and Health Services simultaneously of your illness.
Note: Submission of this document does not result in an excuse from class. All students must be evaluated by health services.
Excused Absence Policy
We do not provide excuse notes, however we are happy to provide you with care. Contact your professor, prior to the start of the missed class, if you feel too ill to attend class.
Welcome to the RISD Health Services’ Patient Portal. We are very excited to provide this service to our students.
Using the Patient Portal, students can: submit immunization records; access visit notes; view upcoming or past appointment dates; submit health records information; update address, phone and other like information and update allergies or medication. Visit the Patient Portal now!
We care deeply for the health, safety and wellbeing of our students. Therefore, we encourage students to notify us in the event of a hospitalization, so we can support you during and after your hospital stay. If you would like our support during your stay, please notify the hospital staff, allowing us to make contact. Feel free to call Health Services at 401 454-6625 or Student Affairs at 401 454-6600 to let us know how we can help.
If you are admitted to the hospital, here is the information you might find useful:
- Will my parents be notified of my hospital visit?
- When you are 18 or older, all medical treatment is confidential.
- Your parents are not notified unless you consent with a medical release of information form. Under extenuating circumstances, especially a life threatening event, RISD may need to reach out to your parents.
- If you are covered by your parent’s health insurance, the insurance company might generate an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) with information indicating a medical visit. You will need to contact the insurance company regarding this issue.
- We do, however, encourage you to call your parents or others who would have concern about your wellbeing.
- I have RISD Insurance. How do I get a copy of my insurance card?
- I am worried about missing classes while in the hospital. What should I do?
- How will I get back to campus from the hospital?
- Please call Public Safety at 401 454-6376, 24-7, for your transportation options.
- Whom do I call if I need aftercare support, a follow up appointment, or other questions or concerns after being in the hospital?
- Health Services staff is available to answer questions and support your health needs by calling 401 454-6625 Monday through Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.
- After discharge, students are highly encouraged to update Health Services of their health status.
- Health Services staff can support the hospital discharge plan of care and address any other medical needs.
Additional Wellness Offices and Services
The office of Disability Support Services (DSS) provides, arranges and coordinates appropriate and reasonable accommodations for disabled students.
RISD’s office of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides a range of mental health services to help students improve emotional, interpersonal and academic functioning.
Sports and Fitness
If you're looking for fitness activities on campus, visit the Catanzaro Student Fitness Center for dance, pilates, spinning, tai-chi and yoga or head to the nearby Brown athletic complex, where you'll have access to a swimming pool, an ice skating rink, indoor and outdoor tracks, and courts for tennis, squash, racquetball and basketball. You can also get together with other RISD students to play soccer, hockey and other sports by joining athletics clubs and teams on campus.