8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Key Contact
- Joanne Duval
- 401 454-6637
- 2nd floor
- 72 Pine Street
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides a range of mental health services to help RISD students improve emotional, interpersonal, and academic functioning, including:
- individual and group counseling, at no additional cost, to any matriculated undergraduate or graduate student.
- recommendations to off-campus providers.
- consultation to faculty, staff, and parents who may have concerns about a student.
- outreach events, and training, related to educating and improving mental health within the college community.
- a counselor on call (for after-hours mental health emergencies).
- psychiatric services (upon recommendation from a CAPS counselor).
Emotional well being is essential to personal development and integral to the creative process. Counseling provides a space to address issues that may be interfering with your work. Seeing a counselor helps you respond to the situation before it escalates.
All appointments with CAPS can be in person or through telecounseling. Students are encouraged to call CAPS directly at 401 454-6637.
Students must be escorted to the CAPS office. Please call the office when you arrive in the lobby.
For non-crisis referrals: Please encourage students to contact us directly to schedule a needs assessment appointment. Offer to let the student call from your office; calls made outside of office hours will be connected with our after-hours support.
StaffDeborah Levans Director
Nikole Barnes Assistant Director, Training
Nisha Sundararaj Case Manager
Brooke Darelius Clinical Counselor
Kristen Garvin Clinical Counselor
Mike Petrarca Clinical Counselor
Damion Vania Clinical Counselor
Hal Woodcome Attending Psychiatrist
Rachel Ruderman-Looff Psychiatry Resident
Joanne Duval Counseling Services Assistant